Main Street Recovery Act, 2020Published on October 07, 2020
Today, Minister Sarkaria introduced the Main Street Recovery Act, 2020, as part of this government’s Main Street Recovery Plan to support small businesses during COVID-19. We know that a strong Main Street in Ontario depends on thriving small businesses. Today, those small businesses are depending on us for support. That’s why this government is determined to help them through this recovery period and beyond.
Small businesses in Newmarket and Aurora are the cornerstone of the communities, and helping them get back on their feet is critical to Ontario's recovery. That's why the government is continuing to take major steps on the road to recovery by providing support to help Main Street businesses adapt to the demands and challenges of the pandemic, and pursue new opportunities for growth and success. The new Main Street Recovery Plan builds on more than $10 billion in urgent relief and support provided through the COVID-19 Action Plan — while maintaining or enhancing protections for public health, safety and the environment.
The proposals outlined in the Main Street Recovery Plan will help struggling small businesses get back on their feet, and jumpstart our economic recovery—so that Ontario, and Main Street businesses are able to reopen safer, rehire faster, and rebuild stronger than ever before. The plan includes:
- A one-time grant of up to $1,000 for eligible main street small businesses — in retail, food and accommodations, and other service sectors — with two to nine employees to help offset the unexpected costs of personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Ontario’s Small Business COVID-19 Recovery Network, which links 47 Small Business Enterprise Centres across the province as places where small businesses can access tailored advice and information on local, provincial and federal programs;
- Digital Main Street Squads to help small businesses grow online;
- Mental health supports for families, frontline workers, young people, children, and Indigenous communities;
- Ontario’s Small Business Recovery Webpage to provide single window access to small business supports.
Through the Main Street Recovery Plan, small businesses will be able to apply for and easily access the support they need to reopen safer, rehire faster, and re-emerge from this crisis stronger than before.
To learn more: Click Here
Visit Ontario’s Small Business Recovery Webpage: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/small-business-recovery-resources