Ontario Introducing New Legislation to Fix Long-Term CarePublished on October 28, 2021
After decades of inaction, this government is fixing long-term care to ensure Ontario’s seniors get the quality of care they need and deserve both now and in the future.
As part of this plan to fix the sector, on October 28, we introduced the Providing More Care, Protecting Seniors, and Building More Beds Act, 2021 that would, if passed, improve the wellbeing of residents in long-term care and retirement homes and protect our progress by supporting previous commitments to increase staffing for more hours of direct care, enhance accountability, and build more modern beds.
Ontario has listened to the advice of the Long-Term Care COVID-19 Commission and the Auditor General — as well as residents, their families, the public and those working in the sector. The legislation, if passed, would support the government’s plan to fix long-term care by:
- Establishing the commitment to provide an average of four hours of direct care per resident per day by March 31, 2025;
- Strengthening the Residents’ Bill of Rights to align with the Ontario Human Rights Code and recognizing the role caregivers play in resident health and well-being;
- Implementing new requirements for mandatory public reporting about quality indicators, including standardized annual; resident and family surveys;
- Establishing new compliance and enforcement tools, including doubling provincial offences act penalties;
- Introducing an appeal to the Minister in the licensing process.
This Bill also includes amendments to the Retirement Homes Act, 2010, that would ensure greater protection and improve the quality of life for residents in retirement homes.
After decades of neglect and underfunding by previous governments, we are fixing long-term care and protecting residents in retirement homes to ensure they get the quality of care they deserve.
Residents of Newmarket-Aurora! The government is committed to fixing #LTC in Ontario. As a part of this commitment, we put forward a new legislation that aims to improve the wellbeing of residents in long-term care and retirement homes, and ensure they get the care they deserve. https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1001060/ontario-introducing-new-legislation-to-fix-long-term-care