Ontario Makes Historic Investment in Safe, Innovative Festivals and EventsPublished on August 04, 2021
The government is investing nearly $50 million to help festival and event organizers deliver safe, innovative experiences that allow people to reconnect with their communities as the province moves through its Roadmap to Reopen.
This one-time funding increase – more than double the annual funding provided to the festival and event sector in the past – ensures the long-term success of the festival and event sector.
This investment includes:
- $43 million for 439 festival and events through the Reconnect Festival and Event Program – a record number
- $6 million committed to events through the Celebrate Ontario Blockbuster Program.
The Reconnect Festival and Event Program was developed to help festival and event organizers adapt to new public health measures with virtual, drive-in/drive-through and other safe offerings.
The program directs support to community-based events that deliver innovative and safe experiences.
The Celebrate Ontario Blockbuster program supports municipalities and organizations in Ontario that host large-scale, high-impact signature events that:
- Draw significant tourist attendance to Ontario and increase tourist spending
- Increase Ontario’s profile nationally and/or internationally through media and broadcast exposure
- Provide significant economic impact and legacy development for the local community, the region and the province.
The government’s funding will ensure support is directed to events with safe, innovative experiences, while creating opportunities that encourage Ontarians to reconnect with the beauty and diversity of their community in new ways.