Ontario Tourism and Travel Small Business Support GrantPublished on May 27, 2021
Tourism and travel businesses have been hit hard by the pandemic, as people and employers follow the necessary public health measures to keep people safe, including here in Newmarket-Aurora.
Through the government’s new Ontario Tourism and Travel Small Business Support grant, we have set aside $100 million to provide one‐time payments of $10,000 or $20,000 to eligible small tourism businesses to help them recover from the impacts of COVID-19.
Each small business owner can use the support in whatever way makes the most sense for their business – for example, to pay rent or employee wages.
To be eligible for the Ontario Tourism and Travel Small Business Support Grant, a business must meet all the following requirements:
- It operates an eligible type of tourism or travel business in Ontario on April 30, 2021
- It did not already receive the Ontario Small Business Support Grant, which was designed for businesses that were required to close or significantly restrict services under the provincewide shutdown effective December 26, 2020
- It had 99 or fewer employees on April 30, 2021
- It had a revenue decline of at least 20 per cent if the business began operating or was acquired before July 2, 2019
- If you began operating or acquired a business before July 2, 2019, you must compare the total revenue for three consecutive months in 2019 with the same three consecutive months in 2020. To learn how to calculate revenue, read the Ontario Tourism and Travel Small Business Support Grant user application guide.
- A business that you began operating or acquired after July 1, 2019 and before 2021 will receive the minimum $10,000 if it meets all the eligibility criteria.
- A business that you began operating or acquired in 2021 is not eligible for the grant.
Eligible business owners can apply for the Ontario Tourism and Travel Small Business Support Grant, as well as support to help with the cost of property taxes and energy bills online. Visit ca/COVIDsupport for further eligibility details and to apply. Applications are now open until June 25, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
This government will continue to help the tourism industry reclaim its place as an economic powerhouse and key job creator in our province.
Learn more: Click Here