Ontario Tourism Recovery ProgramPublished on September 28, 2021
Ontario is investing $100 million through the new Ontario Tourism Recovery Program to help stabilize the tourism industry as it recovers from the impacts of COVID-19.
The Ontario Tourism Recovery Program supports for-profit tourism businesses that support jobs, attract visitors and tourism dollars, and contribute significantly to the economy in their region.
The application portal for the Ontario Tourism Recovery Program will open on October 13, 2021.
Eligible tourism businesses include: hotels, inns and lodges, boat tours, ski centres, live performance venues, cinemas and drive-in theatres, amusement and water parks.
Funding recipients will have the flexibility to apply funds to any eligible expenses and do what makes the most sense for their businesses (eligible expenses include staff salaries, health and safety measures, and marketing expenses).
Program funding will help successful applicants to re-open safely, develop adaptative and innovative tourism products, retain and create tourism jobs, and support tourism recovery in their region and throughout Ontario.
The Ontario Tourism Recovery Program will provide essential sector support, ensuring Ontario tourism continues to be a key pillar of the province’s economy and regional employment while remaining globally competitive for tourists from around the world.
Newmarket-Aurora Question and Answers
What types of businesses are eligible for the Ontario Tourism Recovery Program?
A range of for-profit businesses are eligible for the Ontario Tourism Recovery Program. Program funding will target historically successful tourism businesses that were incorporated by January 1, 2018. Eligible accommodations include:
- Bed and Breakfasts
- Campgrounds and Recreational Vehicle Parks
- Cottages and Cabins that provide overnight, weekly, or short-term accommodation in self-contained cottage or cabin units (where the business reports their revenue as business income for income tax purposes, and not as rental income.)
- Hotels, Motels, Inns, and Lodges that provide short-term, transient lodging (less than 30 days), housekeeping and other amenities
- Hunting and Fishing Camps or Lodges
Eligible attractions include:
- Amusement Parks, Theme Parks, Water Parks
- Boat Tours
- Cinemas (Motion Picture and Video Exhibition)
- Convention and Conference Centers
- Destination Spas
- Farm-based Tourist Attractions
- Golf Courses
- Indigenous Attractions
- Indoor and Outdoor Recreational Attractions
- Museums, Historic and Heritage Attractions
- Performing Arts, Music and Entertainment Venues
- Scenic/Sightseeing Tours
- Ski and Snow Attractions
- Wineries, Breweries and Cideries
- Zoos, Botanical Gardens, Aquariums and Eco- and Nature Centres.
Eligible transportation includes:
How do Newmarket-Aurora business owners apply?
Program information can be found at www.mtc.gov.on.ca/en/awards_funding/OTRP.shtml.The application portal for the Ontario Tourism Recovery Program will open on October 13, 2021.