Supply OntarioPublished on November 18, 2020
COVID-19 shone a light on Ontario’s outdated and fragmented procurement system. This has validated our commitment to centralize the Ontario Public Service, Broader Public Sector, and health sector procurement through a single stream, allowing the public sector to buy as one and provide the oversight necessary to align supply with demand.
As shared in the 2020 budget Ontario’s Action Plan: Protect, Support, Recover, the Government of Ontario is establishing Supply Ontario, a new agency that will operate as a modern, efficient supply chain solution that will enable the government to buy as one and deliver greater value for taxpayer dollars.
Supply Ontario will provide Ontarians with tangible results, including:
- Delivering the best value by sourcing high-quality goods at scale to serve the public interest in a financially responsible way.
- Stabilizing access to a high-quality supply of critical products, including PPE.
- Stimulating job creation and economic growth by producing more Ontario-made goods.
- Driving innovation of emerging technologies.
- Connecting small businesses and entrepreneurs to government and its customers by acting as a first purchaser for emerging technologies and paving pathways to the marketplace to drive innovation in Ontario.
PRIMED will aim to produce 50 million masks annually over the next five years. This will provide health care and essential service providers across the province with a secure and local supply they can rely on.
These are Ontario-made solutions to an ever-growing global concern that will support our effort to reopen the economy and ease the province’s dependence on unreliable global supply chains.
Modernizing and centralizing our supply chain system is a forward-thinking example of how we are building a government that works for you.
For news release, click here